AC Milan have denied vice-President Adriano Galliani was negotiating the sale of star player Ricardo Kaka to Real Madrid during a visit to Spain.
Speculation has been mounting that the Brazilian playmaker will swap the San Siro for the Bernabeu following Florentino Perez's return as Real Madrid President, and reports on Tuesday evening in Spain claimed a world record deal of 65 million euros had been agreed between the clubs during talks in the Spanish capital.
But in a statement released on the club's official website, Milan insisted Galliani had only travelled to Madrid to attend a dinner for Perez.
"The vice-President of Milan, Adriano Galliani, is in the city of Madrid exclusively for the inauguration dinner of Florentino Perez, the new president of Real Madrid," the statement read.
Earlier on Tuesday Kaka, who turned down a move to English Premier League outfit Manchester City in January, claimed he wants to stay at the San Siro.
"I'll say it for the last time. The last time. I don't want to leave Milan," he told La Gazzetta dello Sport. "In this period I prefer to remain silent because I don't want to be misunderstood. Or, worse still, to be used.
"To the millions of Milan supporters, I say that I have made my choice. I have said what I want to stay. Leave me in peace, please."
Kaka was the subject of a big-money bid from Manchester City in January but the audacious swoop failed, with the player insisting he had no desire to leave the Rossoneri.
Since then he has been linked with a move to Madrid and speculation increased still further as the return of Perez - who was in charge during the Spanish club's famous Galacticos era - grew ever more likely.
Chelsea, under newly-appointed former Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti, have also been rumoured to be interested.
Source: Sporting Life