Thursday 10 June 2010

Chievo pounce for Pioli

Stefano Pioli has been named as the new coach of Chievo, replacing Domenico Di Carlo, who left the Flying Donkeys to join Sampdoria at the end of the season.

The 44-year-old Pioli has taken up his new role after being released by Serie B outfit Sassuolo earlier in the day.

The former Verona and Fiorentina centre-back, who led Sassuolo to a fouth-placed finish in 2009-10, said: "I am really happy to join Chievo. It's a big chance for me and I didn't expect it, even though I always hoped.


"Sassuolo gave me a lot. I did a good job, but I am here today thanks to that club and those players so I want to thank them all."

He came agonisingly close to leading the minnows into the top flight, only to come unstuck in the play-off semi-finals against Torino.

Pioli's only previous coaching experience in Serie A came when he took charge of Parma for the 2006-07 campaign, only to be dismissed in February. He also led Piacenza, Grosseto, Modena and Salernitana.

Chievo finished 14th in Serie A last term.

Source: UEFA

No comments:

Post a Comment