Wednesday 30 December 2009

[Mercato] Beckham arrives for second stint

David Beckham has completed his loan move to AC Milan and said he was almost moved to tears when they were drawn against Manchester United in the UEFA Champions League.

David BeckhamJust as last year, the LA Galaxy midfielder has agreed to join Milan for the second half of the Italian season, and has now officially completed his move following a medical.

The Rossoneri will take on the English Premier League champions on 16 February and 10 March, the second leg at Old Trafford – Beckham's home until his 2003 switch to Real Madrid – and England's most-capped outfield player was taken aback when the teams were paired in the first knockout round.


"I almost started to cry after the draw," the 34-year-old said. "Old Trafford is a special place for me and I haven't played there for almost seven years.

"I have many friends in Manchester and I have a special relationship with the fans there, it will be a great night for me. However we have to take it extremely seriously and try to win."

Since Beckham left Milan in the summer, Leonardo has succeeded Carlo Ancelotti as coach and there have been playing changes too. However, Beckham said: "Carlo Ancelotti, Paolo Maldini and Ricardo Kaka are not here any more but Milan is like United, things don't change so drastically from one year to another.

"The atmosphere in the locker room is always great, after a difficult start things are going well now and I'm sure I will have a good time here."

Milan's fortunes have been on the up since Leonardo switched to a 4-3-3 formation with only one holding midfielder, but Beckham expects to settle in quickly.

"The playing system is different compared to last season but I'm sure I can adapt," he said. "I'm just glad to be back and it won't be a problem not to be in the starting XI.

"Playing here doesn't give me the security of a place in the national team either. I'm here only to win the Scudetto, and I believe we can do it if we work hard."

Beckham is set to make his second Rossoneri debut when Serie A returns after its winter break on 6 January against Genoa.

Source: UEFA

No comments:

Post a Comment