Saturday 16 May 2009

Ghirardi claims deserved promotion

Parma President Tommaso Ghirardi has revealed that he didn't want to be remembered as the man who took the club down into Serie B after their promotion today.

Tommaso GhirardiThe Gialloblu were relegated from Serie A for the first time in 18 years on the final day of last season but today's 2-2 draw at Cittadella secures their immediate return to the top-flight.

"I do not like to be remembered as the man who took Parma down into Serie B," Ghirardi said. "Last year I took the responsibility and this year I am happy to get some merit for the swift rise, despite some of the opposition I received.


"I am pleased to be able to carry this team back into Serie A, together with the help of my family, my players, to my manager and all the great fans in this big city.

"When we play in Serie A next year, we will deserve to be there and we will all enjoy it because this year, in Serie B, was tough. Everybody played against us playing the game of their lives, because we are a big club and now we are back in Serie A."

Ghirardi took a major decision just six rounds into the season, to sack Gigi Cagni and replace him with former Palermo coach Francesco Guidolin.

"Guidolin is a great person because he came here and gave us the battling mentality and the desire to sacrifice which was lacking at the start of the season. We had the important values, but we did not have the mentality to play in Serie B.

"I must thank Guidolin and his staff for the tremendous satisfaction that they have given us.

"Now we would like to write another happy page for the people of this city," he concluded.

[Parma bounce back] - [Week 40] - [Francesco Guidolin] - [Thommaso Ghirardi] - [Stefano Morrone]

Source: Parma

No comments:

Post a Comment