Sunday 6 July 2008

Torino chief willing to sell

Torino President Urbano Cairo insists he is not looking for a buyer although he would consider selling the Serie A club at the right price.

The businessman rescued Torino from bankruptcy in 2005 and led the club back into the Italian top flight the following year.

But with limited resources available for team strengthening this summer, he would be willing to accept an offer if it would boost their transfer kitty and prevent himself or Torino going into bankruptcy.


"The club is absolutely not for sale and when someone did make an offer a couple of months ago, I didn't even hold a meeting," he said.

"It was not my intention to sell and I wouldn't do it today either.

"However, if I can only invest £22million and someone else has £80m, then I am willing to step aside for the love of this club.

"Having said that, I don't see a queue of worthy candidates lining up at my door.

"I have no intention of going bankrupt or taking the club with me," he added.

Torino sold Gianluca Comotto to Fiorentina last week, with Elvis Abbruscato and Moro their only new signings so far this summer.

They have been linked with Real Zaragoza's Diego Milito but Cairo can not afford to gamble on the aging striker.

"There is not a lot of money around at the moment, and not only in the football world," he said.

"We cannot compete with those who earn five times as much as us. I therefore focus on moves that are achievable, not impossible ones like £11m for a striker like Diego Milito who is almost 30 years old."

Source: Sky Sports

No comments:

Post a Comment