Wednesday 16 July 2008

Mourinho aims to get back on trophy trail

As AC Milan supporters celebrate the imminent arrival of Ronaldinho from Barcelona, Intern fans were also anticipating the start of the season with relish as their own Special One joined up with his players for the start of pre-season training.

Jose Mourinho may have swapped London for Milan, but as the Portuguese coach told the press in fluent Italian, his goal remains the same: to win trophies.

His determination and charisma have won over the Nerazzurri tifosi and the Roberto Mancini era already seems to belong to the distant past.


"I believe the real winners are those who never get bored in achieving success," said Mourinho, who led Porto to the UEFA Cup and Champions League before winning back-to-back English Premier League titles with Chelsea.

"As you all know, I don't like to lose and it looks like this squad thinks the same way," he added.

"Working with me is simple and difficult at the same time. Simple because I have clear ideas about the kind of football I like; difficult because I always do my best for the team and, consequently, I demand the same from my players. I'm happy we can finally can start working and I'm looking forward to our first official match.

"We are building a strong squad and I don't need many new players. I prefer quality to quantity. I'm not a revolutionary and I don't want to revolutionise anything. I'm just a person with very clear ideas. I think this is important. My philosophy of life is a bit like my philosophy of coaching: to be honest, direct and clear and ambitious – characteristics that I never want to lose."

To that end, Mourinho, whose players underwent fitness tests before training begins in earnest on Thursday, expounded on his football philosophy.

"The 4-3-3 is the formation I really like and when I talk about this formation I mean using three pure strikers. The challenge will be defending with three players in midfield to give the team the complete freedom of going on the pitch with three strikers."

Inter, looking to win a fourth straight Scudetti, face Roma in the Supercoppa Italia on August 24 before kicking off the defence of their title the following weekend.

Source: UEFA

No comments:

Post a Comment