Jose Mourinho has denied holding talks with Inter over becoming the Serie A leaders' coach next season.
The former Chelsea boss, 44, issued a statement contradicting his own spokesman, who said he had met Inter President Massimo Moratti on Friday for talks.
"I say categorically it is not true that I went to Milan, that I met with Massimo Moratti," said Mourinho. "It is just false to say that I am on the point of signing a contract with Inter."
Mourinho was responding to comments made by his personal advisor, Eladio Parames, who claimed the Portuguese and his agent Jorge Mendes had travelled to Italy.
"It's true they are in Italy and will return to Lisbon on Saturday," Parames said on Friday. "Of course, it was Inter who contacted Mourinho and his agent, not Mourinho contacting them.
"He (Mourinho) has always showed interest in working in Italy, and he received the contact with pleasure."
Current Inter coach Roberto Mancini, whose contract runs until 2012, announced on 11 March he would be stepping down from the job he has held for four years after his side were knocked out of the UEFA Champions League by Liverpool earlier this month.
However, the 43-year-old quickly backtracked and stated his desire to stay the following day after a meeting with Moratti.
Mourinho, who lifted the Champions League trophy with Porto before guiding Chelsea to two Premier League titles and an FA Cup, has been linked with a host of European clubs since he left the London club in September last year.
Inter have won the last two Serie A titles and this season are four points clear with eight games left to play.