Friday 7 March 2008

Maldini may have new retirement plan

Tuesday's Champions League defeat by Arsenal may not have been Paolo Maldini's final match in European competition after the AC Milan captain hinted that he could change his mind about retiring at the end of the season.

"The whole club are pushing for me to play another year," the former Italy defender said in an interview with Sky Italia on Thursday night.

"My knees are much better compared to three months ago and I'm playing at left-back, a role I left ten years ago. I love this sport and I love to train and play."


Maldini, who will turn 40 in June, had previously said he would end his illustrious career this summer, but he has left the door open for next season.

"I still have plenty of energy. I know I should stick with what I said originally but I think only stupid people don't change their minds just because of something they've said in the past. Let's wait and see," added the Rossoneri legend, a winner of five European Cups.

Source: UEFA

No comments:

Post a Comment