Monday 11 June 2007

Reja applauds Napoli

Napoli Coach Edy Reja could not hide his satisfaction after leading the Azzurri from Serie C to top-flight football.

The Partenopei returned to Serie A after six years, following the draw with Genoa, who were also automatically promoted because of the 10-point gap with Piacenza which meant that the play-offs were unnecessary.

"Two promotions in two years are definitely a feat, it wasn’t easy," Reja said. "I want to compliment us and Genoa and I want to thank this club, they always backed me when things were difficult. If we managed to reach this objective it’s mainly thanks to them," added the tactician.

"The lads played an excellent championship, it is never easy to work in a city like Naples when you are favoured and you feel the pressure.

"Now the only thing that counts is that we were promoted automatically, it would have been unfair for both us and Genoa to face the play-offs."

President Aurelio De Laurentiis stated that Reja is part of a long-term project and the Azzurri boss confirmed that he will speak with the management this week.

"De Laurentiis and [director general Pierpaolo] Marino offered me a contract renewal, but I preferred to wait.

"We will discuss the issue this week, I am sure there will be no problems at all.

"I only want to celebrate, although I am sure that many of those who criticised me will now be hailing me, but it doesn’t matter, we will go to Serie A with them as well," concluded Reja.

[Napoli & Genoa secure promotion]

No comments:

Post a Comment