Thursday 17 May 2007

Coppa Italia Reaction

Roma boss Luciano Spalletti insists that the Coppa Italia is a reward his players deserve for their efforts over the last 2 years.

The Giallorossi collected the trophy this evening despite a 2-1 loss at Inter given that they destroyed the champions 6-2 in the first leg.

"We have taken some significant forward steps over this term and the last one, progress which has been confirmed by this Italian Cup," Spalletti said. "My players have worked very hard over a period of time and deserve it as much as the fans and our President [Franco] Sensi. This is an important achievement for everyone here."

"This is my first trophy as a tactician and that is really satisfying," continued the former Empoli and Udinese boss. "I had asked [Inter boss Roberto] Mancini whether he would have loaned me one of his had we not won, fortunately there was no need for that and I have finally got a Cup to show all of my friends."

Roberto Mancini has admitted that his Inter side lost the Coppa Italia in the first leg of the Final at the Stadio Olimpico. "Roma did really well in the opening game," said Mancini. "That is when they got their hands on the trophy."

"I compliment Roma who deserved it over the two games," Mancini added.

Roma captain Francesco Totti is keen to use the Italian Cup win as a springboard for further success in the capital. "This trophy won’t be the last, but only the first of a long line that must follow," he said.

"We are all delighted with this triumph as we were all used to seeing Inter win, seeing as they have beaten us in various Finals over the last few years…

"It is only right that we have been able to thrust an important trophy into the air. Now we want to continue on this path with this squad and possibly a few new faces. It is up to the club and the Coach to decide on who."

The No 10 also took the time to thank boss Luciano Spalletti for reviving his beloved outfit’s fortunes since his arrival in 2005. "We had crumbled before he was appointed, but he has compacted us together again and I thank him for that," he underlined.

"Who do I dedicate this victory to? My new daughter Chanel, my wife, my son and all of my family who stayed close to me in my difficult periods."

Roma chief operating officer Rosella Sensi has dedicated the club’s Italian Cup success to her father – President Franco Sensi. "This triumph is primarily for my Dad seeing as he is this club’s No 1 fan," she said. "He really deserves it.

"Winning is great, but I also want to compliment the players for everything they have done this season. Let us now just celebrate this victory and continue to work well as we have been doing up to this point."

Franco Sensi has allowed Rosella to take care of the day-to-day running of the outfit in recent years, seeing as ill health has forced him to take a backseat role in the Eternal City.

[Match Report]

Source: C4 Football Italia

No comments:

Post a Comment