Wednesday 28 April 2010

Mourinho enjoys emotional triumph

Inter midfielder Wesley Sneijder revealed coach Jose Mourinho had been "screaming" after the Nerazzurri reached the UEFA Champions League final with a 3-2 aggregate win over Barcelona.

Barca won 1-0 at the Nou Camp thanks to a late goal by Gerard Pique, but the Serie A leaders held on despite having to play for more than an hour with 10 men following the dismissal of Thiago Motta.

Inter will face German giants Bayern Munich at the Santiago Bernabeu next month and Sneijder said: "He (Mourinho) was screaming. It was an emotional moment.


"I think we defended very well with 10 men for so long, it was a big compliment to the team."

Inter effectively nullified Lionel Messi over the two games and the Dutchman admitted that had been the plan.

"You could see it tonight," he added. "We were very compact and we fight for every metre and give everything. That is what we said to each other before the game.

"I said before the game he (Mourinho) always had a tactic to destroy the opponent. We did it in Milan and we did it tonight.

"It will be a great final."

Inter President Massimo Moratti was ecstatic after his side booked their spot in next month's final.

Moratti said: "I am very happy, for a team of 10 men to beat the world champions at their own ground (shows) great character, great team, individually and as a group.

"It is infinite happiness.

"Mourinho tonight was a wonderful phenomenon and the boys had immense character. They knew what to do at all times, very good. They played in a really smart way, congratulations to all.

"I hope that Inter fans are as happy as I am."

Jose Mourinho was highly emotional, saying: "We were a team of heroes. We sweated blood.

"I thank everyone who played and who did not play. I thank all the fans, those who were here and those who remained at home.

"Absolutely incredible things happened. Now is our festival. I want the fans at the airport waiting for these guys.

"I want the fans to go to Rome where we have a Sunday final against Lazio (in Serie A) and Wednesday when we have another final against Roma (in the Coppa Italia)."

The Portuguese added: "This match was difficult with 11 (players).

"With 10 versus 11 it was historic. The defeat was the best of my life, but I think this team deserved to draw 0-0. Julio Cesar has had an amazing game, it seemed we were in equal numbers.

"It is an incredible joy. I have already won a Champions League but today was even better.

"When I won (with Porto) we beat Monaco 3-0 and half an hour before the end I knew we had won. It's a pity I could not play because I have got the same blood."

Source: Sporting Life

No comments:

Post a Comment