Tuesday 15 December 2009

Mourinho denies assaulting journalist

Inter coach Jose Mourinho has admitted he verbally insulted a journalist after Sunday's 1-1 draw with Atalanta - but denied physical contact.

Jose Mourinho (photo: inter.it)Italian Football Federation (FIGC) officials are probing the incident outside the team bus in Bergamo after the Italian Sports Union of Journalists (USSI) complained on Monday.

The USSI accused Mourinho of "physical and verbal aggression" towards Corriere dello Sport journalist Andrea Ramazzotti.


But Mourinho, who has lamented the constant grilling he receives from the Italian media and has sometimes boycotted news conferences, has denied aggressive intent or physical contact.

"Thank you for giving me the opportunity to say something, as since Sunday I have heard so many things," he told a news conference in Milan, which was boycotted by many journalists as a sign of protest against the incident.

"First of all I must be honest and admit it's true that I insulted your colleague with a word that I cannot repeat, as it is offensive. But there was no attempted attack or physical contact."

The Portuguese added that he snapped because the journalist had been standing by the team bus for months despite his protests.

"I will not make a public apology because the situation was not public but private," added Mourinho, whose Serie A leaders host Livorno in the Coppa Italia last 16 on Wednesday night.

"In front of him, like men, I will be able to talk with him and end this story. Maybe with a bit of humour - I expect a Christmas present from him."

In a brief comment on Monday, Inter President Massimo Moratti said: "For the moment I'm not commenting on it because I still don't have all the facts to do so. But I'm sorry."

Source: Sky Sports

No comments:

Post a Comment