Friday 5 June 2009

Ferrara handed Juve post

Juventus have announced Ciro Ferrara as their next permanent coach and the former defender wants to make a name for himself with the Italian giants.

Ciro Ferrara & Director General Jean-Claude BlancFerrara left Italy's training ground in Florence earlier and his post as national team coach Marcello Lippi's assistant to travel to Turin and embark on a new mission.

He was unveiled tonight as the new boss after signing a two-year contract with the Bianconeri.


"I have a lot of will and I am well aware of the task at hand," said Ferrara. "To guide Juventus is a dream come true, a beautiful task and a difficult one, but I feel ready.

"Just like I said three weeks ago to the club, I can do it.

"The risks and dangers exist but they make you grow and win. Among the many emotions that I feel, there is also fear but in the right measure."

Ferrara replaced the sacked Claudio Ranieri on an interim basis last month after a poor run of form which threatened the club's bid for an automatic UEFA Champions League berth.

Under Ferrara, Juve beat Siena 3-0 and won 2-0 against Lazio on the final day of the campaign to pip AC Milan and Fiorentina in the race to finish second in Serie A.

"He is a man linked to Juventus and to our story of success," read a club statement. "He is a young coach, who has gained managerial experience in recent years within the club and has an international outlook thanks to his work with the world champions."

Juve had considered other candidates for the hotseat but in the end, it was the 42-year-old that convinced the Juve board.

"I have been at Juve for many years," he said. "But the last two games and two weeks of work have been crucial for the club to take this decision.

"The club has taken its time to evaluate other coaches and this goes to show how much they thought about this choice.

"Had I been in their shoes I would have done the same thing. They did well in taking their time.

"They have chosen me and I am delighted.

"I will guide a club that is among the best six or seven in the world."

Ferrara has not promised any titles but believes his team can battle on every front next season.

"I will not declare our aims," he said. "But I will set the aims with the players."

Ferrara, who made 253 league appearances in an eleven-year spell with the Old Lady before his retirement in 2005, already has an idea of how his team will play.

"We will play with a four-man defence, three midfielders and a playmaker behind two strikers," he said. "With the characteristics of the players already acquired and those that we have in the team, a 4-3-1-2 formation could be the best formation.

"Above all, I want my players to offer continuity."

Source: Sporting Life

No comments:

Post a Comment