Wednesday, 6 May 2009

Spalletti takes the blame

Roma coach Luciano Spalletti has admitted full responsibility for the Giallorossi's disappointing season, which now looks likely to end without Champions League qualification.

Luciano SpallettiSunday's goalless draw against Chievo at the Stadio Olimpico saw Roma slip eight points behind fourth-placed Fiorentina with four games remaining.

Spalletti, who has been linked with a move away from the capital club, is aware of his side's shortcomings over recent months but insists their failure has not been for the lack of trying.

"Last year we fought for second spot," said Spalletti. "And we qualified for the Champions League.

"But I cannot guarantee that this time. As the coach, I am responsible.

"But no one can doubt that I have not given all that I have.

"I have been professional, I have done my job and I have given everything."

Roma President Rosella Sensi has expressed her frustration at events and confirmed she will meet with Spalletti this week to discuss what has gone wrong.

"It has been a bitter campaign, well below our expectations," Sensi said. "It's been a big disappointment and I apologise to the fans.

"I am also very bitter."

Roma travel to Sardinia to meet Cagliari this weekend.

Source: Sporting Life

No comments:

Post a Comment