Wednesday 8 October 2008

[Azzurri] Rossi ready for debut

Giuseppe Rossi is excited about the prospect of making his Italy debut in Saturday's World Cup qualifier against Bulgaria in Sofia.

Giuseppe RossiItaly coach Marcello Lippi called up Rossi for the first time, in preference of Alessandro Del Piero and Antonio Cassano, ahead of the games against Bulgaria and Montenegro.

"My only aim is to adapt to this group in the best possible way," said Rossi.


"I should have joined the national team back in September but I was unable to do so because of injury.

"Finally, my chance has come and it's an honour to be here."

The 21-year-old feels ready for the challenge that awaits him in this new adventure with the senior side.

"I know what I have to do, that is to play as I know how," he said.

"Although I am aware that Bulgaria and Montenegro are difficult rivals."

Rossi will have an added incentive to do well this weekend after the disappointment of Italy's exit from this summer's Beijing Olympics.

The former Parma forward, who had enjoyed an impressive campaign with Spanish Primera Liga side Villarreal, scored four goals in China to finish as the top scorer of the tournament but it was not enough to prevent elimination by Belgium in the quarter-finals.

And Rossi is now trying to use that setback as a spring board.

"I would really like to bounce back from the disappointment of the Olympics," said Rossi. "Although this summer's disappointment is a pain that will burn forever.

"But this is a great opportunity for me and I will try to learn as much as possible from playing alongside the world champions."

Source: Sporting Life

No comments:

Post a Comment