Fiorentina's Adrian Mutu has vowed to appeal the 17.2million euros (£13.5million) fine he must pay to former club Chelsea.
The punishment was handed to the Romania international as a result of his failed drugs test in 2004 which led to the Premier League club parting company with the striker.
However, Mutu claims the fine is 'unjust' and 'inhumane' and intends to fight to have the ruling overturned.
"This is an unjust and inhumane sentence. We are going to appeal," Mutu said as he prepares to represent his country in a friendly against Latvia on Wednesday.
"This sanction is not right, because I don't think I have committed a crime that merits such an amount," he said, adding that he would be speaking to his lawyers.
FIFA ordered Mutu to pay the hefty fine after he was found to have taken cocaine during his time at Chelsea.
The 29-year-old was subsequently banned for seven months and released from his contract with the London club.
Last week's decision to penalise the player saw football's governing body hand out their highest ever fine, with the ruling based on Chelsea's loss of earnings.
Worryingly for Mutu, the Premier League club have stated that they fully intend to recoup the full amount of which they are owed.
"This is an important decision for football," read a club statement.
"The decision also recognised the damaging effect incidents involving drugs has on football and the responsibilities we all have in this area."
World players' union FIFPro said they would support Mutu in his appeals case.
Source: Sky Sports