Sunday 18 May 2008

Napoli go for Intertoto Cup

Napoli will enter the Intertoto Cup next season to reach the UEFA Cup, announced club President Aurelio De Laurentiis.

There had been doubts over whether the San Paolo outfit were going to take this route or wait for next season, but this evening De Laurentiis confirmed the decision to enter.

"I honestly did not expect to be making this decision at the start of the season, as I predicted we’d finish between 10th and 12th," he said after the team finished eighth ahead of Genoa despite losing 2-1 at Lazio.

"We did well and got to Europe much quicker than expected. Now we have to keep our feet on the ground and try to climb up through the Intertoto Cup."


It is already quite an achievement for the President who took on the club in financial ruins and guided it up from Serie C.

"On an emotional level Napoli has given me such great experiences. To dedicate myself to this project I left the United States four years ago, because I believed in Napoli," continued the movie mogul.

"Now I can state I will not abandon football and will always be actively leading this club into the future."

That could well mean expanding the side’s reach all over the globe as well as in Europe.

"I always believed Napoli were a great prospect because they have a unique set of fans all over the world. They are the strength of this side and give us the fuel to keep going and make our project international."

[Week 38 Review]

Source: C4 Football Italia

No comments:

Post a Comment