Wednesday 28 May 2008

[Mercato] Barzagli makes Wolfsburg move

Palermo defender Andrea Barzagli has made a surprise decision to snub hometown club Fiorentina to join Cristian Zaccardo at German outfit Wolfsburg.

The talented defender had made it clear that he would leave the Stadio Renzo Barbera this summer and had been in talks with Fiorentina – the team he supported in his childhood.

However, the Viola didn’t match his financial demands and he has been lured to join fellow stopper Zaccardo at Wolfsburg.

"I am happy with my choice," he said. "I will talk about my negotiations with Fiorentina a little further down the line when everything is calm."


Barzagli’s agent Claudio Orlandini insists that Fiorentina were at fault for the breakdown in negotiations with Barzagli.

"Only a Florentine native like Andrea would have offered to accept half the offer that Wolfsburg made in order to wear the Gigliati shirt.

"He sent a clear message, but Fiorentina didn’t respond to that. Obviously I respect the club’s point of view and I wish them all the best.

"The difference between what we were asking and what they offered was minimal – it amounted to £100,000.

"Andrea was willing to give up a lot of money to play for Fiorentina, but they didn’t take our requests into consideration."

Meanwhile, Palermo have signed Empoli defender Andrea Raggi and Fiorentina midfielder Fabio Liverani.

The Rosanero are looking to rebuild this summer after a disappointing season. Now the new recruits are starting to arrive and the first of those is former Azzurrini stopper Raggi.

"It is a great feeling," Raggi said. "I am very excited to come to Palermo, which is a great place in every sense."

Liverani is a former Palermo youth player and he has completed his switch from Fiorentina, where he was frustrated at the breakdown of contract talks.

"I was ready to take a pay cut of 20 per cent to get a two-year deal, but all they would offer me was a single-year contract," he said. "That’s why I left and I was disappointed."

Source: C4 Football Italia

No comments:

Post a Comment