Monday 26 May 2008

[Euro 2008] Perrotta fit for Euro's

Roma midfielder Simone Perrotta looks set to shake off a calf injury to take his place in Italy's Euro 2008 squad.

Perrotta joined the rest of the Azzurri group in Florence on Sunday night as part of Roberto Donadoni's provisional 24-man squad.

His participation was in doubt after he picked up a knock in the Coppa Italia final on Saturday, a game which saw him net Roma's winner against Inter.

"He feels better. I am hopeful as his body is already reacting well to the treatment," said Dr Mario Brozzi.


"I stayed with him until late and he felt much better than he did on Saturday. He had a painful feeling on his calf, on the inside close to the knee.

"We decided it was better for him to go out because that could have been a complicated injury. It could have been caused by cramps, or something else."

Italy boss Donadoni can now be sure Perrotta will be fit in time for the European Championship.

However, the former Chievo player may still be excluded from the Azzurri squad since Donadoni is yet to name a stand-by player, who won't travel unless there is an injury.

Riccardo Montolivo is likely to be left out but Fabio Quagliarella and Marco Borriello are also at risk, although Perrotta's injury could make Donadoni opt for a reshuffle.

Montolivo confessed that he fears he will be dropped from Donadoni’s final squad list. "I have to keep on training and showing a great desire to do well," the Fiorentina midfielder said. "Then hopefully the coach will take me to the European Championship.

"We will just have to see what happens. I am really happy to have been included in this great group of players and it’s a huge reward for my good season.

"I just hope that I can stay here, but I know that it will be tough and I could miss out. If I don’t get the nod then I will watch the games on TV."

Borriello was happy with his first day with the squad. "It's nice to be here. I am very happy and happy for my club Genoa who believed in me."

"I know all about the players above me in the squad, but just being here is a great thing and I want to improve on it," added the 26-year old.

Meanwhile, striker Luca Toni is dreaming of adding the European Championship crown to the World Cup the Azzurri won two years ago.

The Italian international, who is celebrating his 31st birthday today, has scored 42 goals this season for Bayern Munich.

"A couple of years ago, if someone had come up to me saying that I would be playing with the national team at the age of 31 I wouldn't have believed it," he confessed.

"I am really fired up and, in comparison to the World Cup, I feel stronger. There is a good harmony in this group - good will and faith. It would be a dream to win the European Championship after the World Cup. We want to realise this dream for our fans and rewrite the history books.

"I will give my 110 per cent, since this could be my last Euros and I want to win it."

The squad had a double training session at the Coverciano training centre today but will have just the one on Tuesday afternoon. Before the training, the squad will be kitted up in their Dolce & Gabbana suits and Puma kits for the official tournament photographs.

Source: C4 Football Italia / FIGC

No comments:

Post a Comment