Sunday 2 March 2008

Cassano apologises for outburst

Antonio Cassano has apologised to the referee and his fans after another shameful outburst. "I’m so stupid."

The Sampdoria star was sent off for dissent during today’s 2-2 draw with Torino and lost his famous temper, throwing his shirt at official Pierpaoli and needing to be dragged away by teammates and opponents alike.

"I apologise to everyone, I did something that should absolutely be condemned and compromised everything positive I had done up until then," said a repentant Cassano.


"Almost immediately I realised that I had done something really stupid. At the end of the game I apologised to the fans and my teammates. I also clarified what had happened with refereeing designator Pierluigi Collina."

Collina was in the stands at the Stadio Marassi for this match and was insulted by the Sampdoria fans when Cassano was dismissed.

"We are sorry for Collina, but thankfully it was only down to ironic applause and no violent reaction," said director general Giuseppe Marotta.

This is certainly not the first time that Cassano has caused controversy with his over-reaction to refereeing decisions on the pitch and Samp are ready to take action.

"It was obvious the player had to be sent off. Unfortunately nowadays it is considered almost normal to tell someone to go to Hell, but it is an excessive form of protest that had to be sanctioned," said Marotta.

"First of all the Disciplinary Commission will evaluate the incident, then we will take action too. Cassano, and the club, have both apologised to Collina."

Source: C4 Football Italia

No comments:

Post a Comment