Saturday 1 March 2008

Borriello eyeing Euro 2008 dream

Genoa striker Marco Borriello may have given his new club a chance of qualifying for next season's UEFA Cup - but his dream is to represent Italy at Euro 2008 this summer.

Borriello goes into Sunday's clash with bottom-side Cagliari having notched 16 goals in Serie A this term and is looking like the best acquisition of the summer.

"The secret of my success is really down to the continuity that I have been given at Genoa," said Borriello. "Now I am more confident in my game and I try certain things which before I didn't even consider.


"Last season at AC Milan I didn't play much and I wasn't able to show my quality.

"There's a lot of competition in the top clubs for a starting place, but the fact that Milan co-own my sporting rights shows that they still have some faith in me."

The 25-year-old Borriello struck in his team's 2-0 triumph over Napoli on Wednesday, a result which lifted the Ligurian outfit up to eighth in the standings, just one point behind Udinese who hold the last European qualifying spot.

"We are a great team," added Borriello. "We never stop fighting and that is our biggest strength."

Wednesday's penalty saw Borriello leapfrog Juventus forward David Trezeguet as the leading scorer in Italy - a position he admits he did not expect to be in.

"I didn't expect to be the league's top scorer when I joined Genoa, but my aim was to finish the season in double figures," he said.

"I wanted to be useful for the team and for the team to mirror my performances."

Borriello, who made his senior debut for Italy in an international friendly against Portugal last month, knows his hopes of playing for the Azzurri at Euro 2008 will depend on whether he can keep up his fine form.

"My dream is to play at Euro 2008," he said. "But I know the next two months will be crucial."

No comments:

Post a Comment