Thursday 14 February 2008

Tardelli to join Trapattoni as assistant

The Football Association of Ireland (FAI) has confirmed that former Italy star Marco Tardelli is to become assistant manager to new Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni.

Tardelli, 53, who went on to coach Inter, played under Trapattoni at Juventus in the 1970s and 80s.

"Giovanni and I have a great desire to do well," Tardelli told an Italian radio station. "I like the idea of being for Giovanni what Carlos Queiroz is for Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United."


Tardelli was in the Italy side which won the World Cup in Spain in 1982 and scored the second goal in the Azzurri's 3-1 victory over West Germany.

As a coach he led the Italian Under-21 side to victory at the 2000 UEFA European Championship. He then had spells in charge of Inter, Bari and Arezzo, and Egypt's national team.

Former Ireland midfielder Liam Brady, who played with Tardelli at Juventus, is also considering working in the new set-up and says he wants face-to-face talks with Trapattoni.

Arsenal's academy director does not want to leave the club but would be prepared to discuss helping out his country on a part-time basis.

"I'd need to talk to Giovanni a bit more. I haven't actually spoken to him face-to-face," said Brady. "I don't know what's going to develop until I talk with Mr Trapattoni."

Brady added: "I've only spoken to him over the phone, so I would need to sit down with him face-to-face, find out what he would want from me or what I could do for him and then obviously take it up with Arsenal."

Asked if he could combine a part-time role in Ireland with youth team work at Arsenal, he said: "I don't want to give up my job with Arsenal. I love my job with Arsenal. We need to talk it over obviously."

Trapattoni has already said he is keen to bring in Brady, who won 72 caps for the Republic. "I am hopeful Arsene Wenger will let Liam do the job as well as his Arsenal commitment," the 68-year-old Italian said.

"I knew Liam as a player and I asked him if it was possible for him to work with me a bit. He speaks good Italian and he knows the players. We can work together but not all the time because Liam has a good job at Arsenal."

Source: BBC

No comments:

Post a Comment