Raymond Domenech may not be relishing a Euro 2008 Group C rematch with 2006 World Cup conquerors Italy, but France actually boast an impressive record against the Azzurri.
Roberto Donadoni's men, in turn, seemingly have the Indian sign over the Netherlands, while Romanian victories against any of their three Group C rivals are rare.
Here is a record of their past encounters...
France v Romania (09-06-2008. 1700)
- Euro '96 brought France and Romania into competitive combat for the first and only time – they met both in qualifying and at the finals.
- Just one friendly has been played since then, France winning 2-1 in Paris on 13 February 2002.
- The teams have been drawn against each other in the qualifying round for the 2010 World Cup.
Netherlands v Italy (09-06-2008, 1945)
- Italy defeated the Netherlands on penalties in the Euro 2000 semi-finals.
- The meeting in Amsterdam was the first between the two countries in a major tournament since the 1978 World Cup. The Oranje won that encounter in Buenos Aires to reach the final. The Netherlands have not beaten Italy in eight matches since.
- The two coaches, Marco van Basten and Roberto Donadoni, played together for several years at AC Milan.
Italy v Romania (13-06-2008, 1700)
- Italy have won the last four meetings, a sequence beginning with a 2-0 victory in Brussels in the Euro 2000 quarter-finals. Francesco Totti and Filippo Inzaghi scored the goals.
- Inzaghi also scored in each of Italy's two wins in the 2002 World Cup qualifying competition against the Romanians.
Netherlands v France (13-06-2008, 1945)
- The Netherlands were defeated on penalties by France at Euro '96.
- The Dutch defeated France 3-2 on home soil four years later but both teams had already booked their places in the quarter-finals.
- UEFA President Michel Platini was on target when France defeated the Netherlands 2-0 at the Parc des Princes to qualify for the 1982 World Cup.
- The two teams last met on 31 March 2004 in Rotterdam. The friendly finished goalless.
Italy v France (17-06-2008, 1945)
- The teams qualified together for the finals from Group B. Although the Azzurri won the section, France had the better of the two meetings, winning 3-1 at home and drawing 0-0 in Milan.
- Italy won the World Cup final in Berlin last year after a shoot-out in which they converted all five of their penalties. The only player to miss from the spot was David Trezeguet, the man whose golden goal had defeated Italy in extra time in the Euro 2000 showpiece.
- The World Cup final will also be remembered for the red card received in extra time by Zinedine Zidane for his head butt on Marco Materazzi. It was the last match of Zidane's career.
- Penalty shoot-outs aside, Les Bleus have not lost a match to Italy – competitive or friendly – since the 1978 World Cup, a run which includes a quarter-final in 1998.
Netherlands v Romania (17-06-2008, 1945)
- The nations qualified for 2008 in tandem from the same group. The Romanians finished top, having claimed the first win in their history over the Dutch in October. Dorin Goian scored the only goal in a 1-0 victory in rainswept Constanta. The earlier encounter, in Rotterdam, ended goalless.
- Conversely, the Netherlands did the double over Romania en route to qualifying for the 2006 World Cup.
- Romania failed to score in the first five fixtures between the two countries and have managed just two in total in ten games.
EURO 2008 DRAW: [Draw in full] - [Match Schedule] - [Reaction] - [Record] - [Azzurri base]