Monday 27 August 2007

Baldini explains brawl

Catania coach Silvio Baldini has defended himself after his touchline attack on Parma counterpart Domencio Di Carlo in Sunday's match at the Stasio Tardini.

The Elefanti tactician had to be carried away by stewards as he attempted to kick Di Carlo in the latter stages of a tense 2-2 draw.

Baldini has been savaged for his actions in the Italian media, with some sources even suggesting that he may be given his marching orders for unprofessional conduct.

However, the ex-Empoli man has dismissed these rumours and insists that Di Carlo’s provocation had justified the attack.

"Certainly, it hasn't been a good thing," Baldini said. "I've been wrong because it's a gesture that shouldn't have been done, especially because I'm Catania coach.


"I apologise to my president, my players and the town. I also apologise to Parma supporters.

"I don't apologise to him [Di Carlo] because he doesn't deserve it. He provoked me, I've reacted to a provocation and, if he would apologise to my president for what he told him, I'd be ready to accept."

While the motives for Baldini’s explosion are still vague, it is believed that comments regarding his dismissal from the Parma bench in 2004-05 may have fanned the flames.

"Here at Parma they know me well as I coached this side - I lost games and was sacked, that’s no problem. If I reacted like that it is because I don’t take kindly to being called names," Baldini explained.

"I’m tired of these fake moralists who look in the mirror and decide that they behave perfectly. At Catania they know who Silvio Baldini is. They knew before they appointed me as coach. I won’t allow anyone to insult me."

Meanwhile, Catania have confirmed Baldini will be fined, while the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) could hit the coach with a lengthy suspension.

Catania general manager Pietro Lo Monaco said: "A code of conduct exists at the club for everyone, including the coach. Because of this Baldini will be fined.

"I hope, however, this episode does not cause a demagogy. Catania and the people of Catania had nothing to do with what happened."

Source: C4 Football Italia

No comments:

Post a Comment