Tuesday 12 June 2007

Genoa President banned

Genoa President Enrico Preziosi has warned he will step down from his post just days after their return to Serie A.

"I am tired of being attacked and do not want to bring further harm to the club, so I could resign as President of Genoa," said the toy tycoon.

Always a controversial figure known for his outspoken ways and tendency to fire coaches, Preziosi has taken Genoa back into the top flight after a 12-year absence.

However, the side was also demoted to Serie C two seasons ago after a match-fixing scandal and this week he was suspended for five years with a possible exclusion from the Federation for the bankruptcy of Como.

Although he is prepared to step down as President, it would not mean abandoning the Grifone just as they prepare to re-enter calcio’s elite.

"I would still be patron of the club, but hand the day-to-day reins over to Giambattista Pastorello. It’d be a situation much like at Inter when Massimo Moratti handed the Presidency to Giacinto Facchetti," he added.

"I have many things still to do here, but this is a decision I took two years ago. The demotion into C1 made some thing this was the end for Genoa, but that was not the case and over time everyone understood the meaning of my phrase: I do not give up."

The 0-0 draw with Napoli – and Piacenza’s failure to beat Triestina on Sunday – saw Genoa automatically promoted into Serie A.

"The fans must get accustomed to seeing me in other guises. After me, in any case, there will be my children and I want to continue winning."

No comments:

Post a Comment