Sunday 20 May 2007

Novellino's Samp salute

Walter Novellino fought back tears as he confirmed he would be leaving Sampdoria at the end of the season.

"I want to thank everyone," he said after the 1-0 victory over Catania at the Stadio Marassi, their final home game of the campaign. "In these years in Genoa it was right to criticise and hold me up to a high standard. I thank the club, as when I took over they were in real difficulty and now are at the top level."

Novellino first took charge of the Blucerchiati bench when they were in Serie B in 2002-03, immediately earning promotion in second place.


The high point of his time here was in 2004-05, when Samp finished fifth and qualified for the UEFA Cup.

"I was very moved today and it was the greatest moment of my five years here. We played to win today and our objective is to finish in eighth place."

Although there is no confirmation on where he will go next, it is reported Novellino will reunite with his former Venezia President Maurizio Zamparini at Palermo.

Reggina boss Walter Mazzarri is the favourite to replace him at Sampdoria.


[Serie A 2006-07 Managerial Changes]

No comments:

Post a Comment