Tuesday 8 May 2007

Maradona released from hospital

Former Napoli legend Diego Armando Maradona has been released from the Avril psychiatric hospital in Buenos Aires where he was admitted 10 days ago.

The World Cup winner has been in and out of hospital over the past few weeks to treat the physical and mental issues that have hit him due to alcohol and food addiction.

"I am alive and I want to continue living for my two daughters. I am going to continue fighting until the end," said Maradona on the Argentine station Canal 13.

"I was ill, I recognise that. There were some very hard days and I do not recommend it to anybody. I made a mistake and paid a very high price," explained El Pibe de Oro.

"Today I am calm, doing the diet and taking care of myself. Now I want to rest in order to be better physically. I am not a drunk.

"My daughters tell me 'never again dad' and I want to be an example for them," concluded Maradona.

The player’s personal doctor was relieved with his patient’s dismissal, although he will have to continue attending Avril at least three times a week.

"This is a very positive step in his treatment and I see he is very enthusiastic," said Alfredo Cahe. "He will no longer need to stay at the hospital overnight."

Maradona, who battled with cocaine addiction in the past, was already hospitalised in 2000 with a severe heart problem and spent 10 days in intensive care with heart and breathing problems four years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment