Wednesday 7 March 2007

UEFA inquiry into Valencia events

UEFA is opening an investigation into incidents which took place at the end of last night's UEFA Champions League first knockout round match between Valencia and Inter in Spain.

European football's governing body said the matter would be dealt with by the UEFA Control and Disciplinary Body at its meeting on 22 March.


Last night's match ended in a goalless draw, which meant that Valencia qualified for the quarter-finals on the away-goals ruling after a 2-2 draw in Milan two weeks ago.

Meanwhile, the Valencia defender David Navarro has apologised for causing the mass brawl which followed his punch on Inter’s Nicolas Burdisso. "I’m sorry and ashamed," he admitted.

The Nerazzurri were knocked out of the Champions League last night following a 0-0 draw, but they didn’t leave the Mestalla without a fight. The tie deteriorated into chaos at the final whistle after an altercation between Burdisso and Carlos Marchena saw Navarro sprint off the bench and smash the Argentine’s nose wide open with a cowardly punch.

"I saw that they were trying to attack one of my teammates and I lost my nerve," Navarro stated this morning. "I have never done anything like this before and I will never do it again. I am very sorry and ashamed," added the defender.

The Valencia player also confirmed his desire to make contact with Inter and Burdisso himself to apologise for his unacceptable behaviour. "I have not seen the television images or the reaction of the Inter players in our dressing room, I was in another room, but my teammates told me what happened," he added. "It was a very unpleasant situation, I want to apologise to all those who have been affected by my actions."

No comments:

Post a Comment