Sunday 1 April 2007

Quagliarella - Goal was no fluke!

Fabio Quagliarella has explained that his spectacular goal from 40 metres was not down to luck. "I do that all the time!"

The Sampdoria hitman secured a 1-1 draw at Chievo’s Stadio Bentegodi with one of the goals of the season. With his back to goal 40 metres up the field, he spun round and smacked a half-volley into the air to dip mercilessly under the crossbar.

"Everyone was a little amazed by it, including the Chievo players," grinned Quagliarella. "I saw the ball was bouncing and gave it a go.


"I had a feeling that the goalkeeper was off his line and fortunately it went well. It’s something I try in training all the time – it’s one of my tricks."

The former Ascoli man has made a name for himself with spectacular goals this season, including overhead kicks and long-range screamers.

"At half-time I joked a little with goalkeeper Lorenzo Squizzi. I honestly did not look at his position, I just felt he was off the line. It went well and I will try it again."

It was a perfect way to celebrate his first Azzurri cap in Wednesday’s Euro 2008 qualifier against Scotland.

"My international debut for Italy was the highlight of my career and so to play well and score a goal like this a few days later… Let’s just say it has been a memorable week."

No comments:

Post a Comment